domingo, 15 de abril de 2012


After several attempts, I gave up at last, and now ‘To the Lighthouse’ sleeps comfortably on my bookshelf.  Can you see it? It is the one on the top right corner. It is in the section of English books, it is not as big as I would like but I am proud of having and English book section. Anyway, two weeks ago, I went to Granada with my family and as always, I like to go to librería metro to have a look and there it was, the book bound to be read by me. I know for sure that it is not as good as ‘To the Lighthouse’, since I rely on Emilio’s opinion about this book, but it has cliff-hanging scenes that urge me to continue reading. It is also certain that I am not learning as much vocabulary as I could by reading the former one. Nevertheless, I am getting new words and enjoying that is my aim. Well, the book concerned is ‘The forgotten garden’  by Kate Morton, I recognise that it sounds just like a romantic novel, the kind of Jane Austen’s, but no lovers around, not at the moment, just an Australian woman looking for her grandmother’s roots in England. The searching is awkward since Nell (the grandmother) was a foundling. The action takes place in three different stages:  1913 when Nell is abandoned, 1975 the living period shared by the two main characters and 2005 when the authentic pursuit is undertaken.





As suggested before, the book is quite simple. Notwithstanding, you can find beautiful descriptions from time to time, as the one that follows:

"...He was a scribble of a man. Frail and fine and stooped from a knot in the centre of his knobbled back. Beige slacks with grease spots clung to the marbles of his knees, twig-like ankles rose stoically from oversized shoes, and tufts of white floss sprouted from various fertile spots on an otherwise smooth scalp. He looked like a character from a children's story. A fairy story."





No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario